BOOK 1 POST 2
Reading American Like Me made it clear that many immigrant children go through similar things. Like America Ferrera, I experience a conflict between the two worlds I live in now the one where opportunity is abundant and the one my parents come from, where constant pressure exists to succeed. This juggling act of trying to find our way in a culture that frequently feels at odds with our cultural heritage, while still navigating the expectations of our families is reflected in the stories in the book.
I chose American Like Me because it makes me feel more grateful for the possibilities I've been given, but it also makes me feel responsible and sometimes guilty about the life my parents had in Iran compared to mine. Even though I am aware of how lucky I am to be able to concentrate on my studies, I frequently feel the pressure of meeting their expectations. No matter how daunting it may seem, my parents constantly remind me that doing my schoolwork is a luxury they have worked hard to earn. They relate tales from their early years, when many kids had no choice but to work from an early age with little chance of advancement and survival took precedence over education. Knowing this, I have a great desire to do well in school and make use of all the chances they have given me to honor their efforts. The book spoke to me on a deeper level because it captures the immigrant experience and the nuanced feelings that arise from juggling expectations, appreciation, and my unique journey.
I found the book to be good since it features a variety of voices from various ethnic origins, each of whom shares a special narrative of growing up in America while still being connected to their own culture. This range of experiences deepens the book's meaning and paints a more complete picture of what it means to live between cultures. The most significant lesson I learned was that, despite certain difficulties, being an immigrant can also be a source of pride and strength. I saw that I was thinking back on my childhood and recognizing how my family's experience had molded who I am. The book reaffirmed how crucial it is to respect my heritage while yet appreciating my uniqueness. I recommend this book to everyone, particularly to those who come from immigrant households or who wish to have a deeper understanding of the challenges associated with growing up in two different cultures. It's illuminating, and uplifting, and offers a glimpse into the variety of experiences that make up modern America. American Like Me is an insightful and captivating read, perfect for anyone seeking to understand themselves better or those around them.
Hi Araz, I also grew up as an immigrant, so I can also identify with some of the struggles throughout this book. I love reading stories about immigrant success, and I am definitely interested in this book.
ReplyDeleteHi Araz, my parents came to this country in their teenage years and I will definitely be showing them this book. Really cool to see their stories and how they have been successful. Great work.
ReplyDeleteHi Araz, Your reflection on American Like Me really resonated with me. I completely relate to that juggling act of balancing two different worlds—one full of opportunities and the other shaped by our parents' sacrifices and expectations. I also feel the pressure to honor my family's hard work while making the most of the opportunities I have now. You did an amazing job capturing the emotional depth of the immigrant experience and how the book highlights both the challenges and pride that come with it. Great job!
ReplyDelete